Worlds Revealed.  Write destination descriptions and reviews.  Keep a travel journal.  Share experiences.  Help others travel better.
Tikal
Places and Destinations
Locations
Tikal Locations
  If the place you are looking for doesn't exist, try another category,
  or use the link below to add it yourself
[ add new to this location ]
Also add hotels, cafes, events, parks, museums, and more
Want to share something?
What do others say?
Like this page?  Tell a friend!
 
Featured Books

         Note: This page is similar to wiki, which means you can edit the content.
Tikal - Facts and Travel Information

Tikal, at one time the largest Mayan city in the world, is now a world famous site of Mayan ruins. It is probably the most impressive of many Mayan sites in Central America because it is completely enveloped in jungle. The ancient Maya began constructing Tikal around 550 B.C., and for many centuries thereafter the city was an important religious, and political center. Today, the largest number of Mayan ruins in the world are to be found in Tikal. The ruins, extending over six square miles, include temples, pyramids, terraces, palaces, ceremonial platforms, plazas, steam baths, and other stone structures. It is estimated that only about 30% of the ruins have been excavated - the remaining 70% lie buried underground. Visitors can visit the Tikal site by taking a short flight(approx. 1 hour) from Guatemala City to the rain forest area where Tikal is located or an overnight ride(approx. 12 hours) in an air conditioned luxury pullman if one prefers traveling overland.

This description was last modified Oct 27 2005, 12:35 AM  [ View Page History ]
Was this page helpful?